How Facebook is Becoming a Local Search Player, Email Campaign Ideas & More: The Social Scoop 6/29/17
Greetings! Today is my last day in Beautiful British Columbia, Canada! Wow, I’ve been on the road now for 11 days straight, with multiple events. I fly from Vancouver back home to San Diego, CA this morning… and the song that keeps going through my head? SCHOOL’S OUT for summer… by Alice Cooper. Ha!
Unless something comes up, my next trip is not until September and I am SO looking forward to some epic catch up time through July and August, including finishing up my next Facebook training programs!
By the way, while keynoting at the Call To Action conference hosted by Unbounce, I did a Facebook LIVE demo from the stage and am running a contest to give away three awesome mobile video gear kits by iOgrapher!
Check out the contest here — just comment on the post to enter. Winners drawn on July 1st. 🙂
Big Week For Facebook
In just one week, check out the updates:
- New tools for Facebook Group Admins, including insights, scheduling posts, membership request filtering (including adding your own filters), group member leaderboards, group to group linking (for your related and sub groups), and more. Coming soon: advertise your group.
- Facebook has a revised mission: from “to make the world more open and connected,” to “to bring the world closer together.” Facebook recently hosted the first ever Communities Summit to recognized and train meaningful group leaders. Zuck wants Facebook groups to play an important role that community groups like churches and Little League teams used to perform: Bringing communities together. [See my Facebook post here – embedded below – with my cliff notes of the stream from the Summit along with my own thoughts on the new Group features.]
- Facebook has now officially reached a staggering TWO billion users, that’s 27% of the world’s population. Amazing.
- Facebook is planning to launch an app dedicated to helping video creators better manage their content. No release date has been announced yet. The app will first be available to verified public figures with the Mentions app.
- And, speaking of video, Facebook is ready to drop up to $3 million an episode on TV-style shows. Wow!
This Week’s Top 3 Articles
1. 7 Changes by Facebook that Make it a Real Local Search Player via SearchEngineLand.com
Even with Facebook’s powerful combo of user data, recommendations, reviews, and local search results, it was not yet the go-to choice when it comes to local searches. Facebook users tended to leave the site and turn to Google to find what they needed. However, recent updates provide many benefits to local businesses. Read on to see the improvements and the steps you can take to get your business on the map.
2. 10 Amazing Ideas For Your Next Email Marketing Campaign via BlueFountainMedia.com
If your business has been sending emails for a while and you are using the same tactics over and over you’re likely seeing declining results. It’s important to review your repertoire every so often and refresh your approach. This post is literally PACKED with excellent ideas and inspiration for creating awesome email marketing campaigns!!
3. The Complete Guide to Facebook Mentions and Tags for People and Pages via TheSocialMediaHat.com
What’s the best way to let someone on Facebook know you’re talking about them in a post? Or, how do you publish a post about a particular business and notify the business Page? Whether you’re a long-time Facebook user or just getting started, understanding the differences and nuance of mentions and tagging can be a bit tricky… this post demystifies it all for you!
That’s a wrap for this issue of The Social Scoop. I hope you have an amazing week and I look forward to connecting again very soon.
P.S. It’s not too late to begin thinking about Holiday Marketing… once summer is over. This blew my mind: Facebook’s Ads Will Target Your Entire Household This Christmas. Check it out. As a marketer: fascinating! As a user: it could be a bit creepy?!