Jeremiah Owyang on Facebook Strategy at Seattle Conference
Just finished listening to Jeremiah Owyang – keynote speaker at the Web Community Forum Facebook Conference in Seattle, WA.
Jeremiah provided some great information covering these four topics:
Facebook Offers a Ready-Made Marketing Platform
1. Why Facebook?
2. Facebook offers a bevy of opportunities
3. Challenges of Facebook Platform
4. Develop a Strategy
I took several pages of notes – which will be made available to all participants of my Facebook Fortunes free online class.
This was my favorite nugget from Jeremiah:
Use the POST method as your four-step method to groundswell
Is FB my audience, what are they talking about?
How do they use technologies?
What do they want?
What is it you are trying to accomplish? Reach customers, work with existing ones?
- Listening – Sponsored Groups, Profile Research – Earnst & Young,
- Speaking – sponsored groups, ads
- Energizing (viral/wom) victoria’s PINK, apps
- Supporting (peer to peer), customer created groups
- Embracing (the most sophisticated – only a few companies doing this: letting customers define and become contributors. Dell, Intuit)
Plan for how relationships w/customers will change.
Gain market intelligence.
Learn how to use advertising efficiently.
Embrace & lead communities.
Widgets, sponsored groups/pages, integrate.
Decide which social technologies to use.
MUST get in this order. Hear, hear. So many of us come to Facebook and go into overwhelm – the options (and rabbit holes) are abundant! Developing clear objectives and having a strategy are key! Be sure to review the free materials at my Facebook Fortunes class.